Xfce 4.4 call for testing

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 15:50:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 10:22 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Myself and Christoph (The xfce plugins maintainer for extras) have been
> building and testing Xfce4.4rc1 since it's release (and the betas before it).
>
> Things are looking all good with our limited testing now.
>
> I think we have addressed everything such as:
>
> - Some plugins are no longer available in 4.4 as their functionality
> has been pulled into core Xfce packages, so we have added the required
> Obsoletes/Provides to allow smooth upgrades with those installed.
>
> - Some packages have changed name (xfcalendar is now orage, etc), and
> they should be handled correctly.
>
> - Lots of cleanups of the packages.
>
> So, We would like to invite folks to do some more testing on the
> packages. If you have never used Xfce, you might take this as a fine
> chance to take a look at it. It's a lovely quick desktop env.
>
> In particular I would like to hear from people who already have
> the 4.3.2 packages installed and upgrade to the 4.4 packages.
>
> I'm not sure if we are going to try and push things in this week before
> fc6 is released, or wait until after fc6 and push them into devel
> and then push them into fc6 later. Thoughts on that would be welcome.
>
> For your /etc/yum.repos.d/xfce44.repo file:
> --cut--
> [xfce44beta]
> name=Xfce 4.4 rc1
> baseurl=http://www.scrye.com/xfce-4.4rc1/development/RPMS
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0
> --cut--
>
> Thanks for any feedback and testing you can provide!

Default panel configuration includes Terminal, but terminal is not
installed by default.
Other then that, seems to be working just fine.

Speaking of default screen-saver, AFAIR older XFCE used to have the
xscreensaver configuration icon in their control-panel and it's missing
in 4.4.
Any idea how to get it back?

- Gilboa