What about Upstart? (was Re: Speeding up boot time)

Keith G keithishere2004 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:27:29 UTC 2006

I too agree that python should not become a requirement of a linux system,
by making it integral to bootup.

There are however other new bootup systems that look promising and don't
require python.  One that caught my eye is Upstart.  It's a replacement for
systemvinit which runs the existing startup scripts in parallel (where
possible).  They also have plans to develop new startup scripts more
suitable to such a system in the long run.  I don't have the technical
knowledge yet to know if this is really desirable in Fedora or not, but it
seems worth considering.

Here are the articles I've been reading:
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/08/26/upstart-in-universe
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/09/01/upstart-can-now-replace-sysvinit

What do others think?

-Keith.