Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Keith G keithishere2004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:03:26 UTC 2006

> Legacy is supposed to be "bugfixes only" - no? (If everything is just
> updated, how is it different from the current releases?)

Legacy exists as a service to users of older releases.  There's no
restriction that they're not allowed the latest versions unless they
upgrade their distro.  (YIKES that brings back nightnares from my M$
days).

> > I can agree with that. However, it is my understanding that what truly
> > makes up the software, the code, is still "free".
>
> It's not; you cannot modify it.

It's GPL licenced so ofcourse your can (actually it's triple-licensed,
but GPL is one of the licenses).

> And since Firefox it part of their product, the distro sucks too. And
> there's nothing they can do about it.
>
> It doesn't make any sense to worry about "patent encumbered codecs" if
> restrictions like these are acceptable.

Ummm... Are we even talking about the same product here??