On encouraging Macromedia & others to supply repos for Fedora

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 08:17:13 UTC 2006

On 10/20/06, David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net> wrote:
> fre, 20 10 2006 kl. 02:31 -0400, skrev Benjy Grogan:
> > When I installed the flash-plugin during FC5 first days out of the
> > womb it was a one shot deal.  I used the Macromedia repo that Warren
> > Togami announced <http://lwn.net/Articles/176376/> and was
> > automatically offered all security updates that followed.  Will Fedora
> > re-announce that deal with FC6, and are there any other repo deals in
> > the making with other ISVs?  Google, Skype, and Sun Microsystems would
> > be good candidates.  I wouldn't mind being offered Google Earth and
> > Picasa updates as they come about.
>
> I find it rather unfortunate given the official stance on proprietary
> software that Warren elects to use the fedora announce mailing list to
> announce what it likely a personal project he runs in his sparetime with
> no relation to the Fedora Project. It muddies up the clarity of our
> stance to users like yourself.

If the repo exists then it's great that Mr. Togami is informing the
Fedora community.  It's clear that Fedora is ardently pro-FOSS but
there is nothing illegal about proprietary software so I don't see why
it's mention should be taboo.  In the case of providing a repo to
Sun's Java there could be some tension considering all the hardwork
going into GCJ.  I think it strengthens Fedora because these
proprietaries entities are then integrating more into the open source
framework where yum repositories are used.

Benjy