A few ideas for FC7+

Marcus Camen mcamen at mcamen.de
Sun Oct 22 07:18:47 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 09:05, Peter Gordon wrote:
> Firstly, there was talk at one point about switching the default RPM
> build flags to use -Os (optimize for size, mostly) instead of -O2. For
> one, this could potentially reduce the ISO sizes significantly. (I
> don't have any specific numbers, but as I recall the estimate was
> something of the ~300 MB range, give or take.)

Taken from
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2006-10/msg00173.html

  We run SPECcpu2000 benchmarks on x86-64 to compare -Os and -O2. The
  results are 1011 (-Os) and 1140 (-O2) for SPECint and for a subset of
  SPECfp 1202 (-Os) vs. 1270 (-O2), so the speed difference is too high
  to make this change.

  Overall .text size of all benchmarks:
  6038603 (-Os) vs 6816414 (-O2)

  With filesize begin nearly exactly 1MB larger in both cases.

  We'll stay with -O2.

--
Marcus