A few ideas for FC7+

Ian S. Nelson nelsonian at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 14:10:06 UTC 2006

Peter Gordon wrote:
> Hi, list.
>
> I'm on a brainstorm for my website work, and I got to thinking of a few of
> ideas for Fedora that I believe would make it even cooler. I know FC6 is just
> heading out of the proverbial door, but I'd like to get discussion going on
> FC7+ things so that they will rock that much harder when implemented (if, in
> fact, they are).
>
> Firstly, there was talk at one point about switching the default RPM build
> flags to use -Os (optimize for size, mostly) instead of -O2. For one, this
> could potentially reduce the ISO sizes significantly. (I don't have any
> specific numbers, but as I recall the estimate was something of the ~300 MB
> range, give or take.) Also, this would mean that applications would
> potentially feel faster because less would need to be read from disk, and hits
> to processor cache would be increased, as well as being able to store more in
> the RAM caching. Is this planned for the FC7/8 timeframe? If not, is there a
> plan to implement such a thing at all, if even for specific packages that
> would benefit from it?

I think you'd get more bang for the buck if you added support to RPM for
LZMA compression.    It takes longer to compress but it decompresses
faster than bzip2 and at the max compression it's substantially better.

--

*Ian S. Nelson
PGP/GPG <http://www.gnupg.org/%28en%29/documentation/faqs.html#q1.1>