A few ideas for FC7+

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sun Oct 22 20:51:40 UTC 2006

Ian S. Nelson wrote:

> I think you'd get more bang for the buck if you added support to RPM for
> LZMA compression.    It takes longer to compress but it decompresses
> faster than bzip2 and at the max compression it's substantially better.

I had the impression the default payload format was still gzip in
Fedora, so there's room for immediate improvement without introducing
a new, incompatible compression format that would make upgrades from
FC1-5 a bit harder.

After a quick look, I can't find anything to prove or disprove the
above statement.  How do I tell wether an RPM was compressed with
gzip or bzip2?

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/