Packaging into /srv? (was: FHS Compliance?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Oct 23 18:00:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 01:28:32PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> For example, look at /usr/local. Fedora provides a default layout there, but
> any Fedora-packaged program which has a problem if someone does something
> different is broken.

No, that's not "Fedora's" default layout, it is actually the layout as
given folder by folder by the FHS, even such folders like
/usr/local/games.

> Similarly, creating a /srv/www and making it the default document root for
> apache is fine. However, making other packages expect it to be there isn't
> so good.

You shouldn't compare /usr/local with /srv. The former is very
strictly dictated by the FHS, while /srv has the special status
"free-for-all".

The only Fedora'ism (or better said the most prominent one) existing
is libexecdir and in this case we're trying to persuade the FHS
editors about the need for it and place it into the next FHS.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net