Fedora Core 7 and KDE

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 25 21:11:57 UTC 2006

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 02:21 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> We had discussed opening up KDE to a wider community a while back[1] but
>> it was too late in the release cycle then to make major changes like
>> that. So if we are planning to do this, lets do it now. Package reviews
>> are already in progress [2]
>>
>> What we need to think about is whether we need to put the whole of
>> extras into media or do derivative distributions with specific focus.
>
> What, like KFedora?  Why?

Maybe. I am not too worried about the names now. The proposal to move
KDE into extras is for enabling more people to work on it since core
currently is limited to Red Hat maintainers. The disadvantage with that
currently is that not everyone has the bandwidth to pull these packages
from network repositories. So we probably would still need them on the
disks. The advantage of doing derivatives over putting all of core and
extras into media is better integration and not ending up with more than
dozen CD's.

Rahul