FC6 - Stock x86_64 stock install, installs about 158 i386/686 rpm's

Chris Stankaitis chris at beowulf.net
Thu Oct 26 14:03:46 UTC 2006

Greetings Fedora Dev's

I grabbed fc6-x86_64 and did a stock install (with office/prod selected)
 and to my horror the install included about 158 i386/686 RPM's. with a
big massive rpm -e line I was able to take them out.  I had i386/686
duplicates for most programs, gaim/firefox/openssl etc...

To the best of my understanding every package for fedora x86_64 should
be included out of the box for x86_64, and that 32bit compatibility
should only be added after the fact if it's required for a 3rd party
apps not maintained by fedora?

I would like to keep my x86_64 box "clean" of 32 bit applications if
possible, and having to rpm -e 100+ of them as my first step of a
post-kickstart is a pain in the butt.  has anyone else seen this?  I am
willing to help track things down off the list if anyone would like to
investigate this further.

--Chris