FC6 - Stock x86_64 stock install, installs about 158 i386/686 rpm's

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 27 02:26:05 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 16:49, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > "Support for 32-bit applications and libraries"?
>
> Because to the end user, what does that mean?

Exactly what is written... If he/she really doesn't know (which I doubt,
especially considering the target audience of Fedora), then he/she will just
let it at the default value, no harm done.

> More options and questions and buttons suck more.  Things need to work out
> of the box, and people can  cripple them after the fact.  Yes, cripple.

Sorry, but I don't see how a single checkbox is going to be a real problem,
especially compared to removing hundreds of packages after the fact, and then
fixing the files which got removed by that RPM bug.

Also, i386 packages are only beneficial for those who want to run third-party
binaries. For everyone else, they just waste disk space. Lots thereof.

> You've got hardware that is capable of running both x86_64 and i386 (or ppc64
> and ppc).  Crippling the OS to not support it is something we should _not_
> do.

By that logic, package selection shouldn't be allowed either and the installer
should just install everything. Users are allowed to deselect what they don't
need, why shouldn't this include 32-bit multilibs? Let's face it, there are
users who _don't_ need or want them.

        Kevin Kofler