Volume label of installation media

Srihari Vijayaraghavan sriharivijayaraghavan at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 27 04:07:04 UTC 2006

--- Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Mostly because it was easier to read when the CD was
> inserted and the Volume
> showed up on the desktop.  Its an odd site effect
> that gnome-volume-manager
> mounts in /media using the volume name.  However it
> _does_ work, so...
>
> If there is significant request/reasons to change it
> back to a - or a _ I'll
> consider it.

Thanks for listening. Please consider my request as
one :-).

For example, the 'eject' (right click command) on KDE
does nothing. Knowing it failed to eject the first
time, KDE's smart enough not to present that option
for subsequent attempts (or may be it thinks it was
ejected successfully; don't know).

Incidentally, the /usr/bin/eject command executed
manually (like eject /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdd etc.)
spits out this error message at umount:
umount: /media/FC-6\040i386\040Disc\0405: not found
eject: umount of `/media/FC-6\040i386\040Disc\0405'
failed

(Possibly umount is unhappy with blank space
characters. Or it's quite likely KDE's eject command
is built on /usr/bin/eject also, thus exhibiting
similar problems.)

I understand Gnome's the prefered Fedora DE, but it
failing for /usr/bin/eject is perhaps an indication
that blank space characters are evil :-).

The same goes for other simple commands also: mount,
df etc.

I think they all stem from the fact that in the
original unix design, space charcters were simply used
as field separators only. A clever idiom to construct
a simple formated ASCII data, eh?. Some of us got used
to these simple things, complicated 'newer' concepts
are indeed harder to understand :-).

Thanks