Volume label of installation media

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Oct 27 05:04:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:07 +1000, Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:
> Incidentally, the /usr/bin/eject command executed
> manually (like eject /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdd etc.)
> spits out this error message at umount:
> umount: /media/FC-6\040i386\040Disc\0405: not found
> eject: umount of `/media/FC-6\040i386\040Disc\0405'
> failed
>
> (Possibly umount is unhappy with blank space
> characters. Or it's quite likely KDE's eject command
> is built on /usr/bin/eject also, thus exhibiting
> similar problems.)
>
> I understand Gnome's the prefered Fedora DE, but it
> failing for /usr/bin/eject is perhaps an indication
> that blank space characters are evil :-).
>
> The same goes for other simple commands also: mount,
> df etc.

This is probably because gnome-volume-manager, since FC5, goes entirely
behind the back of the traditional /etc/fstab way of doing things. Thus
the traditional tools know nothing of what it's doing.

Much bitching ensued.

> I think they all stem from the fact that in the
> original unix design, space charcters were simply used
> as field separators only. A clever idiom to construct
> a simple formated ASCII data, eh?. Some of us got used
> to these simple things, complicated 'newer' concepts
> are indeed harder to understand :-).

Unix has been 8 bit clean from the beginning. Anything that can't deal
with spaces is broken.