request for changes to LVM naming for FC7

Patrick Bakker patrick at glypsube.org
Sat Oct 28 19:17:46 UTC 2006

For FC7 would it be possible to give volume groups more descriptive names?
For instance instead of VolGroup00 could the volume group anaconda creates
be called FedoraCore7?

Also, is it at all possible for smarts to be built-in so that more than 1
version of Fedora (and ideally other distributions as well) could all share
the same boot partition? Two issues I can think of:
 - As long as everybody includes a distribution prefix in the vmlinuz,
initrd ... like .fc6 there should not be any overlap of kernels.
 - It looks like Fedora installs grub's configuration in /etc which makes it
particular to Fedora. Is it possible to move it into /boot as well so that
the same grub
   can be modified by any distribution?

My particular scenario is that I usually try to run the previous FC and the
new FC in parallel. Occassionally I add a 3rd experimental distribution in
the middle. Then I have separate paritions for data that does not change for
any distribution (ie. music, photos and maybe home if I dare at somepoint).
For example:

FC5 partitions, FC6 partitions, Ubuntu, Data

With FC7:

FC7 paritions, FC6 partitions, Whatever, Data

With FC8:

FC7 partitions, FC8 partitions, Whatever, Data

Every distribution install assumes that it is the only OS on disk in terms
of monopolizing the MBR with its variant of grub. This makes keeping track
of all of the paritions confusing.

Patrick