request for changes to LVM naming for FC7

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sat Oct 28 19:22:34 UTC 2006

Patrick Bakker wrote:
> For FC7 would it be possible to give volume groups more descriptive names?
> For instance instead of VolGroup00 could the volume group anaconda creates
> be called FedoraCore7?
What happens when the user upgrades their system, then? I'm not too
knowledgeable about LVM-fu, but would updating the name that is on the
volume group be troublesome?

> - As long as everybody includes a distribution prefix in the vmlinuz,
> initrd ... like .fc6 there should not be any overlap of kernels.
Unfortunately, something like this is not to be expected (some
distributions don't suffix their kernel naming, plus the user could always
build their own kernel/initrd if they so chose).

> - It looks like Fedora installs grub's configuration in /etc which makes it
> particular to Fedora. Is it possible to move it into /boot as well so that
> the same grub
>   can be modified by any distribution?
The /etc/grub.conf file is nothing more than a symlink to the one contained
in the /boot/grub directory.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
   DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479