request for changes to LVM naming for FC7

Patrick Bakker patrick at glypsube.org
Sat Oct 28 19:30:40 UTC 2006

On 10/28/06, Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
> Patrick Bakker wrote:
> > For FC7 would it be possible to give volume groups more descriptive names?
> > For instance instead of VolGroup00 could the volume group anaconda creates
> > be called FedoraCore7?
> What happens when the user upgrades their system, then? I'm not too
> knowledgeable about LVM-fu, but would updating the name that is on the
> volume group be troublesome?

There is a vgrename command so you must be able to rename a volume group.
I suppose that would also require updating /etc/fstab to change the
mount points ...

> > - As long as everybody includes a distribution prefix in the vmlinuz,
> > initrd ... like .fc6 there should not be any overlap of kernels.
> Unfortunately, something like this is not to be expected (some
> distributions don't suffix their kernel naming, plus the user could always
> build their own kernel/initrd if they so chose).

I think for this to work its a matter of people agreeing to follow
certain conventions. One convention would be everyone has to suffix
their kernels or put them in named sub-directory. Then user-built
kernels which are not suffixed will not have a problem.

> > - It looks like Fedora installs grub's configuration in /etc which makes it
> > particular to Fedora. Is it possible to move it into /boot as well so that
> > the same grub
> >   can be modified by any distribution?
> The /etc/grub.conf file is nothing more than a symlink to the one contained
> in the /boot/grub directory.

That's great.