anaconda update time needs to be improved

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Oct 29 09:08:17 UTC 2006

Dnia 27-10-2006, pią o godzinie 14:15 -0500, Callum Lerwick napisał(a):
> I installed the new
> fedora-release package, did a "yum update glibc\*" then "yum update yum
> \* rpm\*", so that its running the FC6 yum/rpm, before going for a full
> "yum update". It pegs the CPU for a long long time after "Reading
> repository metadata in from local files".
I did the same thing, only I was smarter - besides of glibc, rpm and
yum, I upgraded apt at the same time :) My old Pentium 4 1,8 GHz
couldn't do the yum calculations for 15 or 20 minutes, when I just
killed yum and did apt-get dist-upgrade. Guess what, it takes about 10
seconds to read everything from disk and calculate dependencies of my
~1300 packages.

So, simply stick to apt and never look back, even if they tell you yum
is the supported dependency resolver. My (apt-driven) upgrade of FC5 to
FC6 on Wednesday is a complete success story.

Of course, after downloading everything, it took rpm over 1,5 hour to
upgrade, so the main thread about Anaconda is an effect of the two (yum
and rpm) joining forces.

Lam