Jigdo files for Fedora Core 6

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 17:38:48 UTC 2006

On 10/29/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 October 2006 01:32, Ian Burrell wrote:
> > I built them using the downloaded core repository instead of from the
> > exploded CD/DVDs. That is why the template files for the disc1 and DVD
> > images are so large. They contain the complete CD/DVD repodata. I
> > wanted all of the needed files to be downloadable.
>
> er,that didn't answer the question.  When we compose a release, the repodata
> is recreated for the CD/DVD, it isn't copied from the os/ dir.  So if you
> recreate CDs from the exploaded os dir, or an os dir from the CDs, things
> won't work right.

The jigdo files were built from the online directory.  Since the disc1
and DVD contain different repodata files, jigdo didn't find them in
the source files. Jigdo puts all of the pieces of the image it can't
find in the source files in the template file.  The disc1 and DVD
templates are big because they contain the CD repodata files. If you
build the image from either the exploded CD or online directory, the
repodata files won't be used. They aren't referenced in the .jigdo
file.

It would be possible to generate the jigdo files from the exploded
CD/DVD.  The template file would be much smaller because it would use
the repodata files from the CD.  However, the referenced repodata
files couldn't be downloaded.  Which means those jigdo files would
only be good for going from the DVD to the CDs or vice versa.  I
wanted the jigdo files to be usable for downloaders.

 - Ian