X-Chat vs Xchat-GNOME [Was: Re: xchat-gnome]

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sun Oct 29 18:25:27 UTC 2006

Mike Chambers wrote:
> Don't know why xchat-gnome exists (extras correct?), because xchat is in
> Core and works?  What is the difference?

X-Chat works, yes; but not well. Xchat-GNOME is essentially a fork [1] of
the core X-Chat backend code with a goal of having a much nicer user
interface (I, for one, welcome our HIG overlords!) as well as better
integrating with the desktop (using things like D-Bus, notify, etc.)

[1] Well, it's not really a fork per se, since they sync that code with
X-Chat proper quite a lot and send patches back, etc when it makes sense to
do so. See their website for more details: http://xchat-gnome.navi.cx/
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
   DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479