time to resurrect red hat database?

Mitch Skinner lists at arctur.us
Tue Oct 31 03:59:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 23:44 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> 5 years ago Red Hat introduced RHDB
> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2001/press_database.html
> (PostgreSQL + graphical tools with commercial support)
>
> After a while it got really quiet about it, I thought because of
> agreements with Oracle. Given the recent Oracle attacks against RH,
> would it be time for RH to resurrect red hat database?

This may be a little off topic, but I can't resist adding a few cents:

I don't think Postgres necessarily needs to be rebranded.  With Java
going free software, though, it will be nice to have a jboss+hibernate
+libre java+postgres+linux stack that's completely free from top to
bottom.  I think Red Hat could get some mileage out of integrating &
supporting all that stuff.  The Postgres community has recovered nicely
from Great Bridge going under, so nowadays the whole shebang is clicking
along pretty well.

IMHO it makes more sense for RH to focus on the stack as a whole,
though, rather than just the database.  To bring this back on topic, it
makes sense for that whole-free-stack integration to get tried out in
Fedora.  We'll have to wait for free Java, though.

> PostgreSQL has a lot of enterprise features. Tools like Visual Explain
> also help developers.

FWIW, pgadmin3 has a visual explain tool now as well.

Mitch