openmotif to be removed from Fedora October 2, 2006

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Fri Sep 1 09:39:45 UTC 2006

"pdftex/pdflatex" is great but not sufficient, as many "tex" files need
plain "latex" to get compiled. Moreover, I hardly imagine moving
"tetex-xdvi" to "extras" whereas other "tetex-*" packages stay in "core".
I have had a look at "gtkdvi". It relies on "glib/gtk+" which have already
been moved to "extras", so no luck either!
A "dvi" viewer is certainly needed in core as many doc files currently are
"dvi" files. Forget about "gv". This is used by people who adopted it maybe
10 years ago and never got aware of alternatives. And it's in "extras", too.
I have rebuilt "evince" with "dvi" support, and it's not that bad! I suggest
to enable "dvi" support by default to encourage user feedback for fixing
open issues with it.