yum question, reverting to old packages.

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Sep 2 16:33:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 12:32 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
> Or maybe it does an uninstall of the current package then an install
> of
> the "old" package. Perhaps in doesn't make any difference wrt yum,
> yum
> could take advantage of the --oldpackage capability of RPM or it
> could
> work by doing remove <current> - install <old> and if either
> --oldpackage or the two step approach can't be done (say for
> dependencies) notify the user.
> But since we are speculating about RPM here, perhaps someone who
> actually knows can help us out. 8-)

Ah, but the uninstall scriptlets are different than the install
scriptlets.  So again, whats done in install may not be undone in
removal or oldpackage.  The point is that like --force and like
--nodeps, the results can be pretty bad, and yum would rather not make
assumptions about the users system and intent.  I applaud that as I've
seen far too many users hork themselves by thinking they were doing
something smart with --force --nodeps.  If you really know what you're
doing wrt these flags, you can do it by hand.