yum question, reverting to old packages.

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Sep 2 23:21:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 23:13 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 13:32 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
> >> So maybe we should remove --oldpackage/--nodeps/--force from rpm. It
> >> follows the gnome 'dumb it down' approach.
> >
> > No, we just don't enable these functions in the "helper" apps.  We don't
> > want to help you ruin your system, we'll let you do that on your own
> > with RPM.
>
> People wishing for package downgrades are more often than not folks who
> run rawhide and other experimental packages and just want an easy way to
> back out a broken package. When a bad update has broken your system, what
> difference does it make if downgrade is "potentially dangerous"?

This is the one point that I agree with. I looked at implementing the
simple flag to allow downgrades to happen provided the user jumped
through some hoops. I'm a bit crunched for time right now but if you
want to work on a patch for it I'd take a look.

The criteria for it, however, is that it can NEVER happen automatically.
There will be no config option that sets it to happen it will only be
something one does on the command line (and maybe it should implicitly
disable -y)

Seriously, I'd like it to be something that requires hoops, maybe even
flaming hoops. :)

-sv