yum question, reverting to old packages.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Mon Sep 4 02:35:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 19:21 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 23:13 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> The criteria for it, however, is that it can NEVER happen automatically.
> There will be no config option that sets it to happen it will only be
> something one does on the command line (and maybe it should implicitly
> disable -y)
>
> Seriously, I'd like it to be something that requires hoops, maybe even
> flaming hoops. :)

Please keep '-y' as it stands otherwise it ceases to be scriptable and
therefore becomes less helpful than "rpm -e $PKG && yum -y install
$PKG-version".

I see the point being made on the list that there is a chance that an
RPM could have a %postun scripts that breaks things, but by the same
token the damaged RPM could have poor logic in the %pre, %post, %verify,
etc etc areas.

It's not the package managers job to stop poorly produced RPMs from
breaking things.  If an RPM is going to break then it's going to break,
and we'll always have the old faithful "rpm -e" anyway.

Granted it's probably more useful for rawhide users than Core users but
even so I can still see it being of use to users who are somewhat less
skilled in the black arts of RPM commands and simply want a way to
revert a kernel or xorg package that shipped with a busted driver.