default font "fixed" in xorg 7.1

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Sep 4 20:47:14 UTC 2006

Dan Horák wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with rebuilding the TinyERP package for Fedora Extras.
> It needs to start a X server during the build process, so there is a
> "BuildRequires" dependency on xorg-x11-server-xvfb. The X server needs a
> default font "fixed", so there is a "BuildRequires" dependency on
> xorg-x11-fonts-base. When you look into the fonts-base package than the
> font "fixed" is defined in the /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias
> file. This was sufficient at least until the last build of this package
> on July 24. In current Fedora Devel there is a problem because the font
> "fixed" cannot be found. So what happened to the font "fixed"?
>
> You can find the build logs at
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/16094-tinyerp-3.3.0-3.fc6/

Each of the X server subpackages that requires fixed/cursor fonts in
order to work properly at runtime, should be doing:

Requires: xorg-x11-fonts-base

That way at X server installation time, there is a runtime dependency
on the fonts that are required to operate properly.  I could have
sworn such a dependency was present before, however I could be
mistaken, or it's possible the dependency was removed to allow OLPC
to be able to install a minimal installation or somesuch.

I haven't tracked recent Fedora X packaging though..  it's possible
a glitch might have creeped in perhaps.  Check and make sure that
The actual fonts are installed, and that there is a valid fonts.dir
in the directory.

--
Mike A. Harris * Open Source Advocate * http://mharris.ca

Linux fans:  Check out Tym Morrison's hit new heavy metal single
"Only Linux" at http://tymmorrison.com - If you would like to support
this great Canadian metal artist and open source fanatic, you can buy
a copy of Tym's Solo Project CD at the "Buy CD" link on his site.