System freeze when logging into GNOME with compiz enabled

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Sep 5 11:35:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm posting here first since I'm not sure against what to file this
bug. Maybe someone has the same issue...

Since this week-end at least (I hadn't rebooted my laptop in a few
days), after booting my laptop and logging in through gdm, I see the
GNOME slash screen, then I see lots of disk I/O going on for a few
seconds, but then once the splash screen went away but before anything
else appears on the screen (no wallpaper, no panel, only the solid blue
background)... complete freeze. Impossible to switch back to a console
or even ping the system.

The weird thing is that if I first open a failsafe session, disable
desktop effects with the "desktop-effects" tool, log out, log back into
GNOME and re-enable desktop effects once logged in, everything works
fine, wobbly and all.

Anyone else seeing this? Does this seem more of an X issue, a GNOME
issue or a compiz issue? :-/

My laptop has an ATI Mobility 9600 (r300) and I'm using the default
free radeon driver.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.91 (FC6 Test2) - Linux kernel
2.6.17-1.2617.2.1.fc6 Load : 0.42 0.29 0.32