circular dynamic dependencies and rpmlint

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Sep 5 12:06:24 UTC 2006

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:45:35PM +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
>
>>(not much luck on fedora-extras-list, reposting here)
>>
>>Short version: are 'undefined-non-weak-symbol' rpmlint warnings
>>acceptable when you have dynamic libraries circular dependencies within
>> a project ?
>

> Well, if two shared libraries can't be used without each other, then the
> first question that should be answered is why haven't the two libraries
> been linked together into one shared library?  All the circular dependency
> ensures is that nothing linked against them can be prelinked, the libraries
> use together more memory than a combined library would need, takes longer
> to load, etc.

Yes, as a matter of fact it's already fixed upstream, but only in CVS
snapshots. And I think that it is an upstream change that is outside the
scope of what a packager can do with patches.

> If both libraries come from the same src.rpm, then you probably can use
> libtool's convenience libraries.

Will look into that thanks. But in the case this is not easily fixable
with reasonable size patches, the question still stands as to whether
the rpmlint warnings can be considered acceptable or not.

-denis