error running yum for the first time

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Sep 5 21:26:56 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 16:59 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>> The fix is to either 'rpm -e yum-versionlock' if you don't use it or to
>>> provide the missing config file.
>>>
>> I'm guessing he performed an "everything" install, whatever that means
>> these days.  So it sounds like there should be a config provided with
>> it.  Making the default system unusable is plain silly, especially since
>> it would also mess with the applet.
>
> you're thinking like a user and not like a sysadmin.

Then there is clearly a problem in yum or anaconda or maybe even rpm for
not determining whether the person installing the package is a user or a
sysadmin.

> If that file went missing it would screw up a lot of systems that are
> locked in.

I don't doubt that.  Perhaps this specific plugin should be disabled by
default then even after install.  e.g. enabled = 0 in versionlock.conf
instead of enabled = 1.  And just require the user^H^H^H^H sysadmin
explicitly turning it on (they already have to do work to make the
plugin useful, what's one more step?)

> Fedora is not just for end users in front of laptops.

That doesn't mean we can screw the end user for the benefit of the
sysadmin, or vice versa.