x server not reading xorg.conf?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 04:53:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 20:25 -0500, Jason Dravet wrote:
> >That's odd, Jason and I are in the same parallel universe :-)
> >
> >If you haven't set the environment variable XORGCONFIG and you haven't
> >specified a config file on the command line, then according to 'man
> >xorg.conf', /etc/X11/xorg.conf should be found before /etc/xorg.conf.
>
> Finally someone else who has/had the same problem.  I always seem to find
> the corner cases and when I report them noone can replicate them.
>
> I tried root and a non-root user and when a xorg.conf was in /root or $HOME
> it was used instead of the xorg.conf in /etc/X11.  I have an updated as of
> Sept 9th rawhide install.  There is no XORGCONFIG environment varible.  I
> start x using startx.  I would be happy to help in tracking this issue down
> if anyone is interested in fixing it.

Uh... guys, Mike Harris pointed out that as root, this is the expected
behaviour.  man xorg.conf shows that $HOME/xorg.conf is used in
preference to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

It doesn't cover why this might happen when starting as a normal user
although /usr/bin/Xorg is setuid root which might play into this.

-Toshio