installer and stage2.img?

Louis Garcia II louisg00 at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 13 02:50:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 21:43 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 21:24 -0400, Louis Garcia II wrote:
> > Is their any reason the installer is split into stage1 and stage2? It
> > would mean quicker installs over the wire. Their is certainly enough
> > room on boot.iso. This will help the ftp and http installs and also nfs
> > since their is no time spent downloading stage2.
> >
> > -Louis
>
> The first stage is loaded into RAM...  so if stage2 were there, we'd
> balloon the memory requirements accordingly.
Ok so still have them separate but include stage2 in the boot.iso. Most
people will do the graphical install and thus will need the bigger memory
requirements and can skip the time consuming stage2 download. The text
install will work the same. I think this is what you meant by balloon
memory requirements?

> You can use the rescue CD to do an install from a network source while
> having both stages of the install on a CD
Whats the different between the rescue and boot cds?

-Louis