Minimal X Config File and Compiz

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 13 22:16:05 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:30 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> I'm open to suggestions for better heuristics.  Since Gnome is pretty
>> far from ever having a scalable UI, it might be sensible to modify the
>> above heuristic to "if multiple advertised modes match the physical
>> aspect ratio and we're somehow reasonably sure that it's not an LCD,
>> pick the one that comes closest to 100dpi".  It's that reasonably sure
>> part that's tricky.  Alternatively we could get gdm to randr to a
>> "sensible" size, but that just moves the problem to gdm, plus introduces
>> a flicker for the resize event.
>
> Err. A better sanity check IMHO is to choose the highest resolution that
> doesn't put the refresh rate under ~72hz.

Of course, you might not get any modes that fast.  But if you do that's
not a bad secondary criteria.

The other problem is that X really doesn't provide a way to RANDR _up_.
  The initial mode is the largest mode you're ever going to get.  You
can set a smaller initial mode with a large virtual, but that means you
get pan and scan, and no one likes pan and scan.  So while I certainly
want to fix that eventually, for now it means I'd rather pick a mode
that's slightly too large.

I'll try the refresh rate idea on a few CRTs and see how well it works.

- ajax