FC5->FC6T3 (DVD) upgrade dies. Time to consider test4? (Was: Yum upgrade?)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Sep 20 02:34:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Rahul wrote:

> alan wrote:

>>> FCn to rawhide is always supposed to work, else there would be no way to
>>> get testers on rawhide in the first place (all the maintainers who let the
>>> devel version of their package bitrot should remember this)
>>>
>>> What's allways been officially non-supported is update from rawhide to
>>> anything else (which is a shame)
>>
>> Last night I tested the upgrade on an i386 based install of FC5 using
>> FC6t3.
>>
>> Not good.
>>
>> It gets to the part where it figures out what to upgrade and bjorks with an
>> exception on the package "system-config-mouse" claiming that it contains an
>> unknown header of "basepath".
>
> Thats strange because system-config-mouse was dropped before FC5 release.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2947593
>

>> The system has a bunch of packages from Core, Extras and Freshrpms.net. It
>> had just been upgraded from FC4 within the last week or so with no
>> problems.  All the updates were current. I have not tested what happens if
>> I remove that one package.
>
> Can you check that?

Just did.

Here is the list of packages I had to remove to progress any farther:

system-config-mouse
compat-gcc-32
compat-gcc-32-g77
compat-gcc-32-c++
gnu.getopt
mozilla-devel
epiphany-devel
utempter

I actually did not pull utempter and stopped at that point becuase it
wanted me to remove gnome libraries and that was just going to get messy.

A few of these things were left over from FC4, but some were from FC5.

All of them failed with the same error involving "basepath".

This is pretty ugly.  Upgrading is pretty much impossible in this state.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink