ctrl-c during boot != good

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Sat Sep 23 17:45:03 UTC 2006

> Bill, doesn't the facility already exist for those people? Namely
> "interactive boot"?
>
> Enabling this seems like a very bad tradeoff security wise. It is
> friendly/easier to always login to the GUI as root but we don't because
> that is bad security practice.

If the facility already exists with "interactive boot", then why would
it have any implications to be able to ctrl-c in addition?

I have a few services starting at boot that depends on network (mounting
of NFS-shares, connectiong to LDAP-servers and so on) which makes
booting without network a _real_ pain.

99.9% of the time, I am connected to the network, and this is no
problem.  But the remaining 0.1% is normally when I need to boot _fast_
- because there is a problem with the network, and I need the laptop to
fix it.

I _could_ remember to boot into runlevel 1 and start neccessary services
manually.
Or I _could_ remember to press I for interactive boot.
But it is _so_ much easier to just press ctrl-c when the boot hangs on
"mounting nfs shares" instead of having to reboot again.

It could ofcourse be made configureable, but then the same thing should
be done for the "Interactive boot". Then there are times when you need
it even if it is turned off in the config-file, so you would need to be
able to override it from grub, and then my question is - what are the
_real_ security gained from this?