alsa-oss

Fibonacci Prower fibonacci.prower at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:38:40 UTC 2006

Hello,

Is there any reason why the alsa-oss package isn't part of Fedora? It
has been said before (most notably in the Fedora forum) that OSS
emulation modules are enabled by default, and therefore alsa-oss is
obsolete, but aoss provides extra functionalities impossible to
achieve with the kernel modules, such as software mixing of output,
which are very useful for proprietary apps (Flash, Skype, etc) that
use only OSS.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/aoss
"Usage of aoss is preferred over kernel-level OSS emulation because if
you need use the PCM plugin layer, enabling the use of the Dmix Plugin
or asym."

I think that pretty much sums it up.
See the full thread on the Fedora forum for more information:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125194

Thank you for your time,

-Fibo

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer, it came with my pea see
It plane lee marques four my revue miss steaks aye can knot sea