alsa-oss

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Sep 27 18:05:06 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 12:27, Fibonacci Prower wrote:
> 2006/9/27, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>:

> > I personally would sugest that you use a standards compliant software say
> > kphone or ekigra and a service such as Free world dialup.    they have
> > stun
> > servers which will help you with nat issues.
>
> Are they available for Windows? Not everyone uses GNU/Linux, you know - in
> fact, most people use Windows.
there are tons of sip compliant clients for Windows Microsoft Messenger or
what ever its called now is one of them.  xten sipX is another.  What i was
getting at is there are lots of standards compliant ways to do what skype
does.  in a much more friendly way.

> I live half way around the world from My family  and have gone to the
>
> > lengths
> > of setting up an asterisk box at home  connected to a pstn provider in
> > australia so that my non technical family members can pick up a regular
> > phone
> > and call me for the cost of a local call.
>
> i also have it connected to a pstn provider in the US for localish service.
>

> I'm afraid I didn't understand a word of what you said you did. And even if
> I did, I don't think it's possible in Latin America, where I live.
Umm  i linked a server in the US into the Phone system in Australia  so that
my family can call me for a local call.  I.e  pick up the phone in there
house and dial me.  It costs me about $6 a month   and can be done all over
the world.  costs will vary.

Dennis