ctrl-c during boot != good

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 17:53:34 UTC 2006

>I think what people here (me included, to be honest) want is to
>be able to disallow ctrl-c to kill services, fully knowing that
>this may lead to a system that starts very slowly in certain situations.

I agree with this and want to see us go one step farther. We also need a boot
option to disallow interactive boot. For servers it can be argued that they have
to be in a protected environment with only admin access provided. But when you
consider desktop installations and security standards like SOX, GLBA, PCI, or
HIPPA, they demand protection of the audit trail, detection of attempts to
subvert it, and identification of users that do stop or start it. Right now its a
matter of typing "I" and saying no to starting the audit daemon. That's too easy.

-Steve