Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 28 17:56:37 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Thats not true. Several projects enforce trademark guidelines. They hold
> restrictions on the name to ensure that their brand isnt spoiled. That
> includes Debian,Fedora and Linux itself. If there is pain in following
> the guidelines, you can rename it (see httpd vs apache in Fedora) but
> the trademark restriction by itself doesnt make the software non-free or
> incompatible with the Fedora objectives.

It is true for Firefox. I was not speaking for trademarks on names in
general. In the words of MozCo
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=354622):

"If you are going to use the Firefox name, you must also use the rest of the
branding."

We can't use the rest of the branding, because it's non-free.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec