rawhide report: 20060929 changes

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Sep 29 14:44:27 UTC 2006

John Thacker schrieb:
> On 9/29/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> I knew the reasons for the rename. But I still can't see any reasons why
>>  we shouldn't ship gutenprint as a update in FC6....
> Because ethereal -> wireshark was an incremental release, a small
> bugfix change, even with the name change.

And the "ethereal -> wireshark" was just and example.

> Gutenprint is the first release off an entirely different branch
> (that's been branched for four years), and a much more significant
> change of the codebase.  Hence the ethereal -> wireshark analogy falls
> apart.

Okay, agreed.

>[...]
> Generally, though not always, updates, especially of criticical system
> software, are limited to smaller incremental changes and not massive
> new versions that involve entirely different branches.  At least
> that's my take.

Sure. But we IMHO have regular big updates of the most important
criticical system software already: the kernel. We have good hardware
support due to that and Fedora in this area is much better than other
distributions. We IMHO should enhance this advantage and also regularly
update other parts of the distribution that are crucial for hardware
support -- like for example gutenprint.

CU
thl