The keyring password annoyance

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Sep 29 15:22:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 10:07 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> A good many bugs were filed against this already (174467,172555 and
> duplicates). I find it a great annoyance having to enter 2 passwords
> instead of 1 to log into my desktop system (the login + the
> NetworkManager keyring access). Since a great many people use encrypted
> wifi, I have a feeling this is going to cause a barrage of complaints
> when FC6 is out.

I've been complaining about it for a long time now ;-)

> Are there plans to try to address this problem before FC6 is out ?
> 174467 mentions this is a hard problem to solve system-wide (shared key
> across all users), but I think we should tackle one problem at a time,
> and at least preventing the dual password on a per-user basis is the
> first step.
>
> There is a recently orphaned package in Extras called pam_keyring that
> apparently addresses this. Should it be considered for inclusion into
> Core and enabled by default ?

Unfortunately, pam_keyring isn't a great answer in the general case due
to users logging in with things other than passwords (think smartcards)
as well as some of the weirdness around password changing and keyring
password changing.

And since we're after the feature freeze (test2) and the final test
release, there's just no way to reasonably do something for FC6.
Hopefully for FC7 (... when hopefully we'll also be using NetworkManager
by default, *sigh*)

Jeremy