openmotif to be removed from Fedora October 2, 2006

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Fri Sep 1 04:54:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 21:33 +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> kdvi isn't too bad but kde is moving to extras...
>
> Most of the users that I support don't really use a dvi viewer anyway, it's
> almost always dvips and gv afterwards (for some reason they *hate*
> evince).
>
> So, is a dvi viewer needed in core?

It depends. One can use pdftex/pdflatex instead of tex/latex so that DVI
viewers (and gv, dvips) are not needed in this case as the PDF is the
only output. The dvips + gv way isn't always too smooth and I have to
say that xdvi is still the best dvi viewer despite of its age.

If the most of the teTeX users accepts the usage of pdftex tools, then
moving at least some of the dvi tools to Extras makes sense.

Jindrich
--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/