firefox.i386 in x86_64 repo

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Sep 7 02:43:39 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 21:23, Jay Cliburn wrote:
>> Elsewhere in this thread you wrote you'd entertain requests to keep it
>> there even after xulrunner is released.  What is the formal method for
>> someone like me to make that request?
>
> There isn't one.  I hear your noise though (:  We'll save the discussion for
> when xulrunner shows up.

Even if we decide to keep the i386 firefox (and I think we should), we
still have the messy issue of dealing with two launchers.  This is very
messy from a user friendliness perspective.

- Two browser launchers?
- How is xremote supposed to work?  You can currently only run one arch
of the browser at a time.
- It is possible to run both archs with minor changes to the xremote
code, but this makes things even more confusing to the user.

Possible solutions... none of which are ideal.
- Ship only i386, as that is the only useful arch.
- Ship both, but hide the x86_64 launcher from users.

I've seen that Microsoft hasn't found a good solution to this problem
when I tried Windows AMD64 beta.  Anyone know if they "solved" this in
the final release?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com