firefox.i386 in x86_64 repo

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Sep 7 14:43:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 04:16:03PM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> tor, 07 09 2006 kl. 15:52 +0200, skrev Patrice Dumas:
>
> Gnash cvs is very promising and very actively developed. There's also
> libfad which aims to provide full flash backend using cairo which should
> be blazing fast. I wouldn't take this defeatist stance towards free
> software, we've come very far in a short time with these technologies.

I don't know about libfad, but gnash is based on GameSWF so it isn't
such a short time if it is taken into account. I maintain gnash in
fedora, I follow and contribute to upstream, and I truely believe
that in some time it will be a perfect player, but right now it is
not usable for the common web surfing cases. It is not defeatism,
but realism.

Anyway I think that free software will always be late when there is a need
to implement closed formats, since there is a need to reverse engineer
the format. When it isn't patented, in case it is even forbidden to
deal with those formats outside of the free world. As long as proprietary
formats are used, proprietary apps will certainly be better than free
apps for some time.

--
Pat