firefox.i386 in x86_64 repo

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:23:35 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:
> You loose a lot of bully pulpit, but you make for happier users.

They are going to learn a very hard lesson.  Users are never happy,
all you do is shift what users are unhappy about.  In fact I generally
work under the assumption that the optimal integrated userbase
unhappiness is an adiabatic constant which you can not decrease
through incremental changes. No matter what incremental decisions you
make, the total unhappiness has a lower bound and unless you have
concrete evidence to the contrary, you also need to assume you are
riding at the lower bound at every iteration of your icremental
process.

Certain correlaries immediate follow from these assumptions.  One of
which is that instead of thinking about how to increase happiness
which incremental decisions, the most constructive way to think is how
do I best manage a constant level of userbase unhappiness to best meet
long term goals.  Instead of asking question like.. "will this design
decision about this compoent make users happier?" the better question
becomes "What compoent do we want users to be unhappiest about?"

-jef"when people answer the question about their glass being half full
or half empty, why do they always forget that the glass is half full
with air as well?"spaleta