Cross-compilers.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 11:09:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 08:57:11AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I agree, however, that there is nothing _fundamentally_ evil about

There is a lot fundamentally evil about autotools, it uses perl to start
with.

> autotools. Autotools don't kill cross-compilation; people do. Autotools
> just seem to make it easy.

Autotools also makes it extremely hard to debug a cross compilation problem.
Neither does it deal with repeatability, consider what happens if you cross
build a package during beta and it works then native build it during final
and it doesn't. The vaguaries of the compiler and cross compiler suite can
cause this to bite you very occasionally.

It would be good to be able to cross build Fedora, if only for slow old
architectures and embedded where its pretty essential.

Alan