wake-up from suspend

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Tue Sep 19 12:34:17 UTC 2006

Dan Horák wrote:

> I am seeing the same behaviour on Quanta ZW9, it has Intel chipset and
> Ati graphics.
>

> 			Dan

It would be useful to know which "Ati graphics" chipset you have.
/sbin/lspci will tell you what the OS is seeing as the graphics chip.

We have two IBM/Lenova T42 laptops: one has ATI 7500, the other ATI 9600.
The 7500 suspends to RAM and resumes nicely; the 9600 suspends, but
comes back with a blank screen, for both X and the console windows.
The machines is otherwise "live" as witness that it is possible to
do a CTRL-ALT F2 to gain a text console; login as root; and execute
"shutdown -h".  All, of course, without seeing what you are typing,
so you need to use the keyboard very carefully.

I guess I posted a query to the fedora users' lsit (fedora-list at redhat.com),
but not yet bothered the development list on this.

I would like to contribute
to the debugging of this problem, but I first need a better understanding
of how this all works.  My plea to the users' list was for pointers to
some background reading on how power management works.

So far I have mainly garnered "me too" comments.

I do have a natural aversion to attempting to fix the bug by the "try this,
try that" method.  I did do a few of things suggested in various bugzilla
and other posts, e.g. change to /etc/acpi/events/video.conf and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  However, my preference is to enable some debugging
at the "apropriate places" and find out what is really happening.

Unfortunately, the laptop is needed in daily use, so I don't have the
freedom to try fc6test3 at the present time.

If anyone has some pointers to useful information gathering techniques
for this problem, I would be interested.