rpmbuild with target i386 on x86_64 sets %{_libdir} to lib64.

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Sep 22 07:26:12 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Yes, rpmbuild --target is known not work, i.e. rpm is known not to
> support cross building - Which had been the initial motivation for
> --target.

Well I never tried any built-in support for cross building in rpm,
because I never found out about it, but you can cross build things fine
with rpm by shoving the appropriate things (usually just host) down
configure's throat.  I found you had to override these as well
(crosspath is my convention that is used in the specfiles too), eg

%crosspath /path/to/cross/compiler/br3/bin
%__strip %crosspath/arm-linux-strip
%__objdump %crosspath/arm-linux-objdump

How you generalize it to being able to build any arch on demand I did
not try yet, maybe you can define a var on rpmbuild commandline like
%crossarch and define everything dependent on the arch with that
embedded in the paths, eg %crosspath
/path/to/cross/compilers/%crossarch/br3/bin

-Andy