ctrl-c during boot != good

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sun Sep 24 03:57:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 23:43 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Maybe those services should get fixed to check for the existence of a
> network connection before trying to do what they do.  Rather than
> hacking around dumb apps, we should fix the problem at the source.
+1

Gentoo's initscripts have a dependency-tracking functionality wherein
one service can forcibly require another (such as Apache and Squid
requiring that the 'net' service be started, et al.)

Is there something akin to this already implemented? If not, how hard
would it be to implement this? (Perhaps even port it in a rudimentary
form from Gentoo's?)

Thanks.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479