alsa-oss

Fibonacci Prower fibonacci.prower at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:45:53 UTC 2006

2006/9/27, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>:
> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 12:27, Fibonacci Prower wrote:
> > 2006/9/27, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>:
>
> > > I personally would sugest that you use a standards compliant software say
> > > kphone or ekigra and a service such as Free world dialup.    they have
> > > stun
> > > servers which will help you with nat issues.
> >
> > Are they available for Windows? Not everyone uses GNU/Linux, you know - in
> > fact, most people use Windows.
> there are tons of sip compliant clients for Windows Microsoft Messenger or
> what ever its called now is one of them.  xten sipX is another.  What i was
> getting at is there are lots of standards compliant ways to do what skype
> does.  in a much more friendly way.

Oh, are there? Which one does work for Windows AND Linux? (No,
Microsoft Messenger is not an option, since I'll have to use it too).
However, I doubt I'll be able to use any of those, since no one will
install any program that does exactly what Skype does, just because I
tell them to.

> > I live half way around the world from My family  and have gone to the
> >
> > > lengths
> > > of setting up an asterisk box at home  connected to a pstn provider in
> > > australia so that my non technical family members can pick up a regular
> > > phone
> > > and call me for the cost of a local call.
> >
> > i also have it connected to a pstn provider in the US for localish service.
> >

> > I'm afraid I didn't understand a word of what you said you did. And even if
> > I did, I don't think it's possible in Latin America, where I live.
> Umm  i linked a server in the US into the Phone system in Australia  so that
> my family can call me for a local call.  I.e  pick up the phone in there
> house and dial me.  It costs me about $6 a month   and can be done all over
> the world.  costs will vary.

No thanks, I want a free (as in beer) service if there is one. And
there certainly is one - Skype, while it works.

> Dennis

-Fibo