Fedora Core 5 can not execute some commands in a right way

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 21:32:28 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Svetoslav Chukov <hydra at nhydra.org> wrote:
> Hello!
> My name is Svetoslav Chukov.
> First of all, sorry about that disturbing...
>
> I use Fedora Core 5 and noticed some bugs while using it. Let me explain
> what is the problem... i tried several times to start some .run files
> but always had an error result.
> So, I opened one of these files and sew strange actions of fedora. For
> example i could not start the shell script below that has of the head
> of .run file. The problem is that in Fedora Core 5 i get different
> result for CRC check and MD5 sum, but everything was fine in OpenSUSE
> and some other distros.
> So, i would like to understand the reason of the actions of my FC5.
> Here is one of the command that can not be executed in FC5:
>   "sum1=`tail $1 | cksum | sed -e 's/ /Z/' -e 's/  /Z/' | cut -dZ"
>
> This command was inside of .run file, but is not only this example. The
> entire .run script is executed in wrong way, the all commands. I tried 2
> or 3 .run scripts and have the same result on all.
>
> Thanks for the reading.
> Best Regards,
> Svetoslav

Svetoslav,

You need to set _POSIX2_VERSION=199209 before you try to use older
.run installers.
E.g.:
$ su -
   <password>
$ export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209
$ sh ./some-random-game-installer.sh

Other then that, please post FC5-related messages in Fedora users list
(fedora-list at redhat.com) and not in the Fedora-development list
(fedora-devel-list at redhat.com).

Thanks,
- Gilboa