WIRELES

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 14:42:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 06:05 -0700, Frank S. wrote:
> Hi is there any chance that FC6 is going to support a wider wireles
> cards and activate them by default?. I had problems with D-link
> DWL-G630 and on my destop I had problems with a Zyxel G-302 V3
> I would be very nice If  the wireles gets configured like UBUNTU

Ubuntu AFAIK ships (a) closed binary drivers and (b) non-upstream
drivers that have certainly not undergone kernel review.

Fedora Doesn't Do Either Of Those.  Fedora ships drivers included in the
upstream kernel.  Those drivers have at least been through a kernel
review process, and are free of any IP/patent/etc concerns.  They are
also obviously not closed binary drivers.

Yes, that means slightly less out-of-the-box supported hardware.  But it
usually means better and more compatible drivers.  If you want your
hardware to work, get the driver maintainers to submit their drivers to
the kernel, where they should be anyway [1].  There's really no excuse.

Dan

[1] except for Atheros chipsets, which can't go into the kernel until
they stop being a**es and deal with the binary-linked-in-blob.  Intel
seems to have a much better path to upstream acceptance with ipw3945
than Atheros could ever manage.